Thursday, March 19, 2009

I was at the Zoo on Monday morning. I went with some people and they commented that the place is unlike the Malaysian zoo which smells. Our Zoo does not smell of animal waste…but over there you can smell it even at the entrance. The animals and the enclosures are all well kept and clean. The animals look good and healthy to the visitors. The Zoo, I think, works very hard to present the pretty side to the visitors. All the ugly side is dealt with in the secret places, out of the sight of the visitors. The Zoo can look beautiful only if the Zoo keepers have taken care of the animals in the ‘secret chambers’.
This gives me the thought of how important it is to have our daily devotions. Devotions are like the ‘secret chamber’ in the Zoo where the animals are cleaned and getting ready for the day to meet the multitudes of visitors in their best. If we are to spend time with God before we begin the day, I believe we will be more ready to face the day. The Psalmist wrote, “But as for me, I shall sing of Your strength; yes, I shall joyfully sing of your lovingkindness in the morning, for You have been my stronghold and refuge in the day of my distress. (59:16)” If we remind ourselves of God’s lovingkindness and His strength available to us, I think we can face the day better. I encourage you to go before God daily before you step out of your house for work or study. Let us get our ‘animals’ ready to face the world: (1) Meditate on God’s goodness, lovingkindness, and strength (Eph 1:19) for the day, (2) deal with any negative emotions or thoughts you have or anticipate you will have for the day, (3) pray for the people you will be working with that day, and (4) pray for God to help you handle the stress and challenges for the day. Before you enter the office, take a deep breathe, and smile, then step into the office and decide to be joyful in the Lord no matter what happen. Try it and let me know if it helps.

No comments: